Punarnava is an indigenous plant with numerous medicinal properties. Punarnava derives its name from its nature of growth and proliferation. The aerial part of the plant dries up in summer and regenerates in the rainy season; the word ”Punarnava” means Punar = once again, Nava = new, on the whole meaning ”becoming new again”. Punarnava is a treasure trove of nutrients like proteins, vitamin C, sodium, calcium, iron and bioactive components like punarnavoside, serratagenic acid, hypoxanthine 9-L-arabinofuranoside, boeravinone A to F, liriodendron, ursolic acid, and oleanolic acid. Imbued with the therapeutic components, punarnava holds high significance in promoting the digestive system, managing heart problems, improving eyesight and preventing diseases like diabetes, urinary tract infection, arthritis, impotence, gout, and anemia.
Health Benefits Of Punarnava :
- Treats Arthritis
- Aids In Digestion
- Manages Diabetes
- Prevents Urinary Disorders
- Promotes Weight Loss
- Enhances Cardiac Functioning
- Remedies Liver Anomalies
Makoy also know as Black Nightshade is an Ayurvedic Therapeutic herb that offers a bunty of benefits and helps in treating several medical conditions. From the regeneration of new skin cells to treating liver disorders, the powerful herbs offers a wide range of benefits. It plays a great role in strengthening hair an helps in the regeneration of the skin tissue. The herb taste bitter and has a pungent effect post digestion. It helps in balancing all three doshas and is anti-allergic, analgesic and a natural sedative by nature among various other characteristics. The entire plant ca be used for its medicinal purposes and has been used for centuries by Ayurveda as a cleansing agent for the stomach.
Makoy is bitter. Hence it has a tikta rasa. It is of slimy, light quality. Hence, it has a Snigdha and laghu guna. It does not have a hot potency but it does not have a cold potency either. Hence it is of Anushna Viraya. It has a Katu Vipaka. It tastes pungent post digestion.
Benefits of Makoy
- The poultice of leaves helps to relieve the pain in joints.
- A decoction of the roots in boiled water is used to cure insomnia and pain in the ears.
- Stomatitis – inflammation in the mouth can be cured by just chewing the fresh leaves of the herbal plant. It helps to cure a lot of gum diseases and maintain oral hygiene.
- A decoction helps to cure enlargement of the spleen.
- A paste of the Makoy leaves helps to provide relief from all skin diseases and disorders.
- Fresh leaves can be consumed in the diet as a vegetable also.
- Makoy juice helps to cure ulcers of the stomach, reduce high fever, regulate menses in females and remove pain.
- Makoy berries help to maintain healthy and glowing skin and cleanses the respiratory system.
- Helps to treat diarrhea in infants.
- A Decoction of stalk, leaves, and roots of this herb is beneficial for wounds, and cancerous sores.
- It helps to treat various diseases of the eye and provides relief from irritation and itching.
- Makoy makes the roots of the hair stronger.
- Helps to treat urinary problems and restores the functioning of the kidneys.
- Acts as an antidote for snake bites.
Kasani or Chicory is a well-known coffee substitute and has various nutritive properties. Kasani is beneficial for managing constipation as it adds bulk to the stool and increases good useful bacteria in the intestines.According to Ayurveda, Kasani is useful for managing gall bladder stones by expelling them from the body due to its Pitta balancing property. Drinking 2-3 teaspoons of Kasani juice helps to manage liver disorders related to cell damage caused by free radicals due to its antioxidant activity. Kasani juice can also improve your appetite if taken regularly by improving the digestion process. Kasani is also good for bones as it helps in the absorption of calcium and strengthens the bones. It also helps to manage osteoarthritis by reducing the pain and inflammation due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Kasani can be used to manage various skin disorders and inflammation due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. A rich source of iron, Chicory (Kasni) is useful in treating anemia. It helps in better circulation of blood, thus aid in treating angina and heart-related disorders. This herb is a rich source of dietary fiber and promotes the feeling of fullness in the stomach.
Health Benefits Of Kasni :
- Chicory root good for digestion
- reduces heart problems
- Chicory root prevents Cancer
- Cures Liver Anomalies
- Treats Urinary Disorders
- Relieves Stress And Anxiety
- Helps in weight loss