Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa) is a perennial, straggling herb, with stem tallness up to 60 cm. The herb has a straight and very thick taproot with a much-branched stem. The plant has gained popularity in India for its medicinal merits. It is harvested from the wild and used as a green vegetable in food preparations locally and in herbal formulations. The word Punarnava means something that renews the body. This herb has been used since ancient times as a potent Ayurvedic which possesses immense health benefits. Punarnava is a well known medicinal plant packed with essential nutrients, vitamins such as vitamin C and other constituents.
Taking Punarnava juice before meals might help manage stomach disorders such as constipation by promoting bowel movements due to its laxative property. It also provides relief from gas and abdominal pain. Punarnava is effective in improving digestion and managing weight by suppressing appetite. Punarnava also helps increase urine production due to its diuretic activity and reduces the risk of urinary complications. It might also be useful for managing liver problems due to its antioxidant activity which prevents liver cell damage caused by free radicals. It is advisable to use Punarnava powder with water or coconut oil if you have hypersensitive skin
Benefits of Punarnava :
1. Liver disorders
Punarnava is used to revitalize and clean the liver. According to Ayurveda, when the liver is unable to perform well it also leads to an imbalance of Vata – Pitta-Kapha doshas. This might lead to liver diseases like jaundice. Taking Punanarva helps to correct the function of the liver by removing toxins from the liver cells. This is because of its Shodhan (purification) and Mutral (diuretic) properties. Punanarva also helps to improve digestive fire due to its Deepan (appetizer) property. It helps to digest the food easily and reduce the burden of liver.
2. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI):
Urinary tract infection is described under the broad term of Mutrakcchra in Ayurveda. Mutra means ooze, krichra means painful. Thus, dysuria and painful urination are called as Mutrakcchra. In urinary tract infection, Punarnava helps to control burning sensation because it has Mutral (diuretic) effect. It increases the urine flow and subsides the symptoms of UTI like burning sensation during urination.
Punarnava is one of the most common herbs which is used to manage weight. An increase in the weight is due to unhealthy food habits and lifestyle which leads to a weak digestive fire. This increases accumulation of Ama causing an imbalance in Meda dhatu and thus resulting in obesity. Punarnava is useful to control obesity as it helps improve metabolism and reduce Ama. This is because of its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. Punarnava also removes excess fluids and waste products from the body by increasing the urine flow due to its Mutral (diuretic) nature.
4. Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Punarnava helps to reduce the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis-like pain and swelling. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is known as Amavata in Ayurveda. Amavata is a disease in which vitiation of Vata dosha and accumulation of Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) takes place in the joints. Amavata starts with a weak digestive fire which leads to accumulation of Ama. This Ama is carried to different locations through Vata but instead of being absorbed, it gets accumulated in the joints. Punarnava helps to correct digestive fire and reduce Ama due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. It also has Vata balancing and Mutral (diuretic) properties which gives relief from the symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis like pain and swelling in the joints.
The herb Makoy has been extensively used in traditional medicine in many parts of world to treat liver disorders, inflammatory conditions, eye diseases, diarrhea and many more health problems. Makoy also referred to as and solanum nigrum and black night shade, is plant that has been used for centuries to treat a number of health problems. Originally native to Eurasia, the herb can help strengthen the liver and fight jaundice. It may prove to be beneficial in treating fever, a cough, ear pain and ulcers. Makoi can be used for treatment of many ailments such as inflammation, ring worms, and can provide relief from burns, itching and pain. The herb can also be used for stomach irritation, cramps, spasms, pain, and nervousness.
Uses /Benefits of Makoy:
• The juice of this herb is commonly used to treat the fever & to alleviate pain.
• The juice of Makoy leaves is used in treating the mouth ulcers. This juice is also used to counter difficult menses.
• Makoy also helps in relieving pain in the ears.
• Its fruit is used as a cosmetic; as rubbing its seeds on the cheeks helps remove freckles.
• It is a very good herbal remedy for asthma as it removes catarrhal matter & phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
• It combats many of the stomach issues like stomach cramps, stomach ache & flatulence.
• Makoy also play the role in supporting the joints by helping in the treatment of rheumatic pain & gout.
• Various skin issues like acnes, psoriasis & freckles can be treated successfully with the help of Makoy.
• A decoction prepared from the leaves n stem of Makoy helps in the treatment of dieresis.
• Makoy is a key ingredient in various medicines prepared to resolve various liver disorders.
• It also helps in treating Urinary Tract Infections as it increases the secretion and discharge of urine.
• Various mouth related problems like gum diseases n bad breadth finds its solution with the help of this herb.
• An infusion of the plant is used as an enema in infants suffering from abdominal upsets.
• A decoction of the stalk, leaves, and roots of this herb is beneficial for wounds and cancerous sores.
• Its berries are poisonous, which believes to get destroyed while but boiling them and make them safer to be used for preserves, jams, and pies.
Kasani (Cichorium intybus) :
Kasani or Chicory is a well-known coffee substitute and has various nutritive properties.
Kasani is beneficial for managing constipation as it adds bulk to the stool and increases good useful bacteria in the intestines.
According to Ayurveda, Kasani is useful for managing gall bladder stones by expelling them from the body due to its Pitta balancing property. Drinking 2-3 teaspoons of Kasani juice helps to manage liver disorders related to cell damage caused by free radicals due to its antioxidant activity. Kasani juice can also improve your appetite if taken regularly by improving the digestion process. Kasani is also good for bones as it helps in the absorption of calcium and strengthens the bones. It also helps to manage osteoarthritis by reducing the pain and inflammation due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Kasani can be used to manage various skin disorders and inflammation due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. A rich source of iron, Chicory (Kasni) is useful in treating anemia. It helps in better circulation of blood, thus aid in treating angina and heart-related disorders. This herb is a rich source of dietary fiber and promotes the feeling of fullness in the stomach. Therefore, Chicory root assists in weight loss by controlling your hunger pangs. A diuretic, Kasni helps in eliminating toxins from the body and keep your kidneys in great health. Chicory Root Extract Benefits for Skin. Various skin care products include chicory in different ways such as face cleanser, skin toner, etc.
Health Benefits of Chicory (Kasni) Root :
- Kasani helps in Digestion
- Reduces heart problems
- Prevents Cancer
- Reduce inflammation and pain and is extremely effective on reducing pain caused due to osteoarthritis.
- Reduces Anxiety and relieves stress by letting a person relax due to its sedative property.
- Good for healthy kidneys
- This herb is very useful in treating chronic constipation as well as by giving good bowel movements.
- The herb is also useful in treating menstrual disorders. The seeds of Kasni are highly beneficial in providing relief from the problem of delayed or obstructed menstruation.
- Kasani (Chicory)might be beneficial in the management of gallbladder stones.
- Kasani (Chicory) might be beneficial in the management of high blood pressure