Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa) is a perennial, straggling herb, with stem tallness up to 60 cm. The herb has a straight and very thick taproot with a much-branched stem. The plant has gained popularity in India for its medicinal merits. It is harvested from the wild and used as a green vegetable in food preparations locally and in herbal formulations. The word Punarnava means something that renews the body. This herb has been used since ancient times as a potent Ayurvedic which possesses immense health benefits.
Benefits of Punarnava :
- The various formulations of Punarnava showed diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The decoction of Punarnava root is used as an analgesic, used to treat coughs, depressants for CNS, laxative, and in inducing abortion.
- Punarnava has been very useful in treating the patients suffering from nephrotic syndrome; the mechanism involved shows the increased serum protein level, followed by a reduction in urinary protein extraction.
- The leaves of Punarnava have been used in vegetable preparations, which tends to show a reduction in edema.
- No doubt about the Punarnava, which is majorly known for its anti-endemic property, but it also has a potential cardioprotective action due to which it protects the damage of the heart.
- Punarnava is nephroprotective; it improves kidney function by reducing the urea and creatinine levels in the blood. In addition to this, due to its lithotriptic action, it further helps to reduce kidney stone problems.
- Punarnava reduces bilirubin level to prevent jaundice.
- Punarnava is beneficial in maintaining blood sugar levels. The mechanism involves reducing the starch breakdown into glucose and thereby preventing the reduction of blood sugar.
- The bioactive compounds present in the extracts of Punarnava help prevent body weight gain and it helps reduce the cholesterol level in the blood.
- Due to a mild laxative property of Punarnava is a mild laxative; it helps in flushing out toxins from the body without the loss of essential nutrients and minerals.
- The administration of Punarnava powder helps in electrolytic balancing of ions in the plasma, which controls the movement of water between cells and their surroundings.
Uses of Punarnava :
- Punarnava should be used along with Sunthi to get a better anti-inflammatory effect.
- Punarnava is useful in Aamavata.
- Due to the multifunctional properties of Punarnava is useful in heart disease and anemia.
- The juice extracted from Punarnava leaf is used in the eyes through topical application.
- Punarnava roots rubbed in honey are regionally carried out for cataract, continual conjunctivitis, blepharitis.
- When the Punarnava root juice is placed into eyes which gives relive in eye illnesses like night blindness and conjunctivitis.
- Punarnava is beneficial in decreasing swelling and foul-smelling in pores and skin disorders.
- Paste crafted from Punarnava roots is implemented at the injured wounds because it allows drying up the oozing out of that wound.
- Punarnava is applied in enemas; it works as a purgative and treats flatulence. It works as a moderate laxative, and it complements the urge for food; for this reason, may be given in diverse gastric issues inclusive of constipation, that is a maximum, not unusual place hassle confronted through humans these days.
- It is used for diverse functions as in diverse panchakarma strategies like Swedan (fomentation) where Punarnava roots particularly and Punarnava plant as an entire is used to relieve ache and swelling.
Makoy also referred to as and solanum nigrum and black night shade, is plant that has been used for centuries to treat a number of health problems. Originally native to Eurasia, the herb can help strengthen the liver and fight jaundice. It may prove to be beneficial in treating fever, a cough, ear pain and ulcers. Makoi can be used for treatment of many ailments such as inflammation, ring worms, and can provide relief from burns, itching and pain. The herb can also be used for stomach irritation, cramps, spasms, pain, and nervousness.
- Can strengthen the liver
- It can be used to treat eye problems
- Can help treat digestion issues and reduce inflammation
- Can help provide relief from pain, itching and burns
- The juice of this herb is commonly used to treat fever & to alleviate pain.
- The juice of Makoy leaves is used in treating mouth ulcers. This juice is also used to counter difficult menses.
- Makoy also helps in relieving pain in the ears.
- Its fruit is used as a cosmetic; as rubbing its seeds on the cheeks helps remove freckles.
- It is a very good herbal remedy for asthma as it removes catarrhal matter & phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
- It combats many of the stomach issues like stomach cramps, stomach ache & flatulence.
- Makoy also plays a role in supporting the joints by helping in the treatment of rheumatic pain & gout.
- Various skin issues like acne, psoriasis & freckles can be treated successfully with the help of Makoy.
- A decoction prepared from the leaves n stem of Makoy helps in the treatment of dieresis.
- It is a key ingredient in various medicines prepared to resolve various liver disorders.
- It also helps in treating Urinary Tract Infections as it increases the secretion and discharge of urine
Kasani (Chicory) is useful herb which can be used as a liver tonic to manage liver disorders like enlargement of the liver, fatty liver and jaundice. It works by balancing Pitta. The liver is the main site of metabolism of the body and Kasani improves metabolism by improving digestive fire. Kasani (Chicory) is useful herb which can be used as a liver tonic to manage liver disorders like enlargement of the liver, fatty liver and jaundice. It works by balancing Pitta. The liver is the main site of metabolism of the body and Kasani improves metabolism by improving digestive fire.
Benefits of Kasani :
Chicory helps to improve appetite when it is made a part of the daily diet. In Ayurveda, loss of appetite is due to Agnimandya (weak digestion). It is caused by an aggravation of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas leading to incomplete digestion of food. This causes insufficient secretion of gastric juice in the stomach resulting in a loss of appetite. Chicory stimulates digestion and improves appetite.
Kasani (Chicory) helps to manage constipation when taken regularly. This is because it promotes the digestive fire which helps to digest the food easily due to its Ushna (hot) potency. It also adds bulk to the stool and helps in easy expulsion of stool.
Kasani also correct the upset stomach because it helps to digestion food and gives the strength to the liver so that food can easily digest. Kasni is a natural laxative due to its Rechana( laxative ) property which cures chronic constipation and other digestive disorders.
Kasani (Chicory) might be beneficial in the management of osteoarthritis. It has good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It decreases the pain and inflammation of joints. It also prevents further damage to joints.
Kasani (Chicory) might be beneficial in the management of high blood pressure.
Kasani juice might be beneficial in the management of cancer